Posted on 05-30-2017
Hard-to-Fit Contacts in Hendersonville
Do you have an eye condition like dry eye, astigmatism, or keratoconus? If so, and you’ve decided to get contact lenses, these may not fit as they would for someone without these conditions.
Instead of forcing these contacts in, which could permanently damage eyes, you need hard-to-fit contacts from an optometrist in Hendersonville. We’ll now explain the various types of hard-to-fit contacts so you can find the best fit for you.
Dry Eye Contacts
If your eyes aren’t producing enough tears, wearing normal contact lenses can be quite painful. Mention your dry eye to your optometry professional when you visit. They’ll likely fit you for softer contacts. These are made of gentler materials that won’t hurt sore eyes.
If you have astigmatism, you may notice the world around you is a blur. You likely wear contacts to treat that very problem, but these are sometimes painful. If you’re not happy with your current contacts, talk to your optometrist.
Hybrid contacts or toric soft lenses should be prescribed for you instead. Hybrid contacts aren’t soft, but they fit over your eyes better and correct astigmatism. Toric soft lenses have a somewhat less spherical shape for a better, more comfortable fit. As the name suggests, these are also soft.
There are five types of contact lenses your optometry professional can fit you for if you have keratoconus, which may alter the shape of your cornea. These are:
- Soft contacts - which can be customized for a perfect fit. You can choose from either a high or medium water content.
- Hybrid contacts - which we touched on above. These are made of silicone hydrogel, which is somewhat malleable. These also contain permeated gas.
- Scleral contacts - which cover the sclera to treat severe cases of keratoconus.
- Piggybacking contacts - which are made of a mix of both soft and harder materials.
- Gas permeable contacts - which, due to their permeated gas layer, won’t be misshapen by corneal pressure.
Contact Hendersonville EyeCare for More Information Today!
If you need hard-to-fit contacts, contact an optometrist at Hendersonville EyeCare. We offer such services as contact lens fittings, prescription frame fittings, glaucoma treatment, vision screenings, routine eye exams, and more.
To schedule an appointment today, give us a call at 828-693-5025. You can also visit us at Hendersonville EyeCare on 1401 Haywood Road.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.